Tuesday, July 27, 2021,

INTRODUCTION TO MODEL TOWN SOCIETY

History

  • The Society was declared as Evacuee property in 1947 (after partition) as 85% of the plots belonged to non Muslims who migrated to India .
  • At the time of partition, total Number of Members of Society were 1366, out of which 277 were Muslims & Christians and 1089 were Hindus, Sikhs.
  • In 1960 the Chief Settlement & Rehabilitation Commissioner allowed it as Legal entity and was allowed to be registered as Cooperative Model Town Society on the payment of Rs. 100/- in Government Treasury as token money. All Assets & liabilities of the old Society including those properties declared Evacuee were transferred to the present Society.
  • New Bye-Laws of the Society were registered under the Cooperative Societies Act 1925.
  • The basic object of the Society, however continued to be the same as originally planned, namely to promote the economic and social interests of its members and more to lay out, establish and maintain a garden town”.

An Overview

In 1976, LDA acquired 500 acres for Rs. 7.5 crore and created Model Town Extension. Model Town is divided into ten blocks. The break up of
present area is as under:

Residential

819 acres

=56%

Commercial

29 acres

=2%

Roads

278 acres

=19%

Nurseries & Play Grounds

59 acres

=4%

Green area (Parks)

278 acres

=19%

1463 acres

=100%

Objective

To promote the economic and Social interests of its members and more particularly to lay out, establish and maintain a garden town. (Bye-Law 4)